Did you know you can hire your very own electric Greenjoy boat and drive it through the wonderful canals of Haarlem?
With Greenjoy Boats you can pretend to be a ship’s Captain and drive your very own open top boat through the stunning canals of Haarlem. On a sunny August afternoon, me and some friends did exactly that.
Our Greenjoy boat was moored behind the Stadsschouwburg in the center of Haarlem. With (paid) parking near by for cars and for bicycles this was a great location and very easy to get to. (Of course buses stop near by too.) Not only was this mooring location great for parking, it was also great for the quiet canal to start your boat trip.
Once aboard our boat, we followed the step by step instructions to get the boat started. This was super easy and really simple. (You also get extensive instructions via email once you booked as well.)
I admit my inner Captain failed me and once we started I got a little scared and panicked! Driving a boat isn’t easy if you have never done it before. But because the canal was quiet, you can quickly gather your bearings and get used to the steering and the speed of the boat. Luckily my friends inner Captains were better than me!
What is really nice about having your own little boat is not sharing it with strangers! Me and my friends had a fantastic time, chatting away, eating and drinking and admiring what a beautiful city we all live in. (How lucky we are!)
I cannot express how fun it was to have your own boat and steer it (well in my case, badly steer it) through the stunning canals and the river Spaarne. We had the boat booked for 2 hours and honestly we wanted more and was upset when our time was up. (Next time we will definitely book longer hours!)
Tips on how to use Greenjoy
- You can book your very own boat in various locations in the Netherlands. You are charged per hour to use the boat, you’re not charged per person. There is a deposit of €150 which is reimbursed back to the payer/booker the next day after your boat trip.
- The boats are electric and have a good charge on them, so no need to worry about battery life. You can also moor up only once during your trip and turn the boat off. (This is great if you book the boat for longer hours and want to moor up somewhere to eat or visit a city attraction.)
- I suggest saving Greenjoy’s number into your phone. You need to use your phone to activate the boat with a text message. (And to turn the boat off again)
- All the instructions are simple to use. You’re reminded of instructions on the boat and you’re sent instructions to you via email. (If you’re using an iPhone, you can save the instructions to iBooks.)
- Once you’re used to the steering of the boat it really is easy, but I do think it is a good idea to have someone on board who does have some basic sailing experience.
- Do make sure you’re on time to collect your boat and back to moor. (It’s good manners and you will be fined.)
- The boats are open top, so they are exposed to the weather. If the boat seats are wet, there are towels in the storage compartments which you can use.
- You are allowed to take a picnic with you on board. But please be respectful to the environment and make sure to clean the boat up before you leave.
- For the safety of children, the only location that provides life jackets is Utrecht. Otherwise you will have to provide your own.
20% Discount for ExpatsHaarlem members
As a member of ExpatsHaarlem you can have a 20% discount on your booking. But be aware; op=op! (First come first served, there are limited vouchers.)
To be a member of ExpatsHaarlem, first you need to like our Facebook Page, and become a member of our Facebook Group, then you need to send an email to Arianna, arianna@expatsHaarlem.nl she will verify your membership and provide you with a Greenjoy voucher.
In summary, I will be using Greenjoy again. Renting your own boat with friends and family is such a fun way to spend an afternoon. Watch out Rob of Greenjoy, I will be back and steering your boats very badly again!