Tuesday night’s football friendly between Germany and the Netherlands was cancelled shortly before start because of a concrete threat of an explosion in the stadium. No explosives were found.
Hannover police chief Volker Kluwe told public broadcaster NDR there was ‘concrete danger for all Hannover’ and the ‘indications’ had to be taken seriously. At a news conference later in the evening, Germany’s home affairs minister Thomas de Maizière told reporters that no explosives had been found in the stadium or surrounding area. ‘We had no choice but to cancel the match,’ he said.
A suspicious suitcase had been found at the stadium, leading to its evacuation, but this was later dismissed as just a rumour. The evacuation went smoothly.
The match had been due to start at 20.45 and the teams had not yet reached the stadium when it was cancelled. Around 200 Oranje fans were in Hannover for the game, NOS said.
The friendly between Belgium and Spain was cancelled earlier following the terrorist attacks in Paris.
Latest posts by Arianna (see all)
- European elections: 23-26 May 2019 - May 23, 2019
- Haarlem & Haarlemmermeer Housing & Education Event 2019 - May 13, 2019
- Comedy on Top of Haarlem - May 6, 2019