King’s Day (formerly Queen’s Day) festivities invite locals and visitors alike to celebrate the King’s birthday. In the streets, squares, canals, parks and everywhere in between, the city is bursting with orange. King’s Day is the biggest street party of the year. What’s on and tips in Haarlem.
Koningsdag / King’s Day
Koningsdag (King’s Day) is a national holiday in the Netherlands. Celebrated on 27th April (26th April if the 27th is a Sunday), the date marks the birth of King Willem-Alexander.
Read more about the history of Koningsdag in our previous article about King’s Day.
King’s Day free market
One of the main highlights of King’s Day is the citywide free market (vrijmarkt). This is where people set up stalls and sell clothes, food, drinks and just about anything else – from plants, old electronics, vintage items, bric-a-brac and a load of old tat. Prices are negotiable which is all part of the fun. Many Haarlem residents set up shop directly outside their own houses. There are also professional traders and opportunists who take advantage of the tax-free trading. The free market in Haarlem officially starts from 6.00 on King’s Day and goes on all day until 22.00, although things start to wind down from about 20.00. Bargain hunters should get to the free market early.
King’s Day in Haarlem
WHAT’S ON IN HAARLEM
Around the Grote Markt
In the middle of the Grote Markt there is the fair. Mmm… for me especially lots of noise. But my kids like it.
From the beginning of the afternoon, the party starts in the bars around the Bavo:
- Van Beinum: beer, fries and music at the Klokhuisplein. The finest stage around the Bavo. Party Haarlem ‘Kingsize’ from 14:00 with many DJs. More info here.
- Studio: between 11.00 and 23.00 DJs alternate each other.
- Club Ruis: from 23.00 DJs à gogo. 18+.
- Nieuwe Groenmarkt. Røring en het Patronaat will provide from 12.00 tot 23.00 a spectacular party on the Nieuwe Groenmarkt! A big live stage with a great program. Performances of SKIP&DIE (DJ-set), Joost van Bellen, Pat Smith, IX, The Yukon Club, Mantra and more.
The cafes on the Botermarkt party from 13:00 to 19:00.
Party in de Polobar en Proeflokaal de Blauwe Druif from 12,00.
Raaks Hortus Square – Jopenkerk
In this square, known as the square of the Jopenkerk, stands a large music stage. Organized by the Jopenkerk and Raaks area, Haarlem beers can not be missed. Among other Live Music of Stemmen en Snaren and Performance Collective. Free entrance, from 13:00 to 20:00.
Koningsdag in the nicest little streets of the Haarlem Vijfhoek. In front of Café de Vijfhoek there are performances by bands and DJs from Haarlem. From 12:00 to about 23:00 PM.
For fun and games, children’s clothes, toys and young performers head to Kenaupark. Kenaupark will this year again be transformed into a flea and family park. There are also Haarlem artists and food trucks. Find here more info about K-Day in Kenaupark.
Find the full program of Koningsdag 2016 on Haarlem Marketing.
King’s Day is one of the world’s greatest open-air parties – an event everyone should try and experience at least once in their life!
Now you have a nice list of tips for today. Enjoy!
- Million building in Droste factory for sale - August 6, 2020
- Connexxion: This weekend extra buses from Haarlem to Zandvoort beach - August 4, 2020
- Greenjoy Boat Renting Summer 2020: Special € 20 Discount for expatsHaarlem readers - July 19, 2020