Today I share the benefits of making & using your own Natural Toothpaste.
Why should we not use the commercial toothpaste?
Most commercial toothpaste contain these harmful ingredients:
1. artificial sweeteners: highly toxic
2. artificial colors: toxic, many are linked to tumors, hyperactivity, neurological disorders, and may be contributing to ADD/ADHD
3. artificial flavors: most are derived from petroleum. Many of the same side effects as artificial colors, including everything from headaches to cancerous tumors
4. SLS (detergent , foaming agent): Toxic. It is drying, causes ulcers and damage to gum tissue.
5. Triclosan: combines with chlorine ( which is found in most tap water) and becomes chloroform.
6. Fluoride: while naturally occurring fluoride found in sea minerals has some benefits, the one that is added to the water supplies, toothpastes, mouthwashes, is different. It is pure poison. An industrial by-product, uses as an insecticide, and is documented to be highly corrosive to not only glass and metal but to skin, as well as causing respiratory illnesses.
So now we all want to make our homemade toothpaste, right?
Let`s start with a simple one. Here is a simple yet effective recipe for you:
¼ cup + 2 TB coconut oil, soft, but not liquid
¼ cup good-quality baking soda
½ tsp Real Salt
1 tsp bentonite clay
3-5 drops peppermint essential oil
1. In a medium bowl, combine the coconut oil and baking soda. Mix thoroughly.
2. Add in the remaining ingredients and mix.
3. Store in a jar.
Note: When mixing Bentonite clay, please use a wood or a plastic spoon. ( Never use metal because it deactivates the clay. )
The consistency of this recipe can vary depending on the temperature where the toothpaste is stored, due to the nature of coconut oil.
Last but not least, I would like to talk about oil pulling.
Oil pulling, also known as “kavala” or “gundusha,” is an ancient Ayurvedic dental technique that involves swishing a tablespoon of oil in your mouth on an empty stomach for around 20 minutes. This action supposedly draws out toxins in your body, primarily to improve oral health but also to improve your overal health.
I have started oil pulling in January ( when I quit drinking coffe-another post is coming up ) and I am almost able to do it for 15 mins now.
My experience with oil pulling:
-Do it before you eat & drink in the morning
-Be busy with your morning routine ( time goes faster)
-Add your favorite essential oil for extra boost and taste
– You can make bit size oil blocks with essential oil in, for easy use (like you are starting your day with your favorite candy).
I would love to hear which toothpaste recipe you tried and if you are into oil pulling.
See you soon