With splashes of genever (Dutch gin, or jenever in Dutch), orange liqueur, fresh lemon juice and frozen raspberries, this cheeky cocktail owes its name to its sexy scarlet color, reminiscent of that infamous Amsterdam neighborhood.
Calling genever Dutch gin is a retronym, but we’ve done so purely for clarity. After all, gin originated in Holland. Genever was introduced to England by King William III, who was a Prince of Orange (that is, part of the Dutch Royal Family) by birth, before he became the King of England. The British, with their love of abbreviations, changed the name jenever to gin.
- 1/8 cup chilled genever (Dutch gin)
- 1/8 cup chilled orange liqueur
- 1/8 cup chilled lemon juice
- 1/4 cup frozen raspberries
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 2 minutes
- Yield: Makes 1 cocktail.
In a cocktail shaker, combine the ingredients and top up with plenty of ice. Shake. Strain and serve in a cocktail glass. Proost!
- Mama Comedy - November 15, 2022
- expatsHaarlem Events November 2022 - November 15, 2022
- Haarlem Christmas market now largest in the country - November 12, 2022